I visited the tax office here in Marathon today to ask some pertinent questions about Florida taxes for cruising boats......The tax office is not far from the City Marina and since we just had a meeting in Boot Key with the FWC I just wanted to get my facts straight.
1. A boat that is stored on the "hard" in Florida does not have to register.
2. A sailboat that is in Florida for more than 90 consecutive days must register and title in Florida
3. When we return to New York in 6 months then we have to re-register and title in New York
4. If we decide to stop in another state and stay for several months then we have to register there too
5. If we leave Florida after 90 days and come back then our 90 days starts over....
6. We could just forget the rules and sail to the Bahamas where we'll encounter other rules and regs.....
Can't Stand It
4 days ago